Another small Iowa town that stands out on the map is Lime Springs. A small town with so much to offer, such as the Lidtke Mill, a national historic site. The mill is located on the Upper Iowa river and is surrounded by a beautiful 10 acre park with excellent camping. Here you can canoe, fish, and explore the state's largest prairie. Lime Springs is just a couple of miles off U.S. Highway 63.
Every year Lime Springs has their annual Sweet Corn Days in August. There is a parade, flea market, free sweet corn, food stands, and a street dance. This grew from a one day event to a two day event. There are volleyball tournaments, softball tournaments, antique tractor pull, and also added was the 4-wheel pull. And yes, don't forget the beer garden. There is also a boy scout breakfast, bingo, watermelon, classic car show, and usually some form of entertainment after the parade on Sunday and a $1000 Cash Drawing.
Lime Springs has parks, a swimming pool, banking services, a medical clinic, locker, and more. In April of 2002 the community of Lime Springs was named a Tree City USA. Being a Tree City USA helps present the kind of image that the citizens of Lime Springs want to have for their homes and businesses. There is a lot to do in the little towns of Howard County. Check it out!
History of Lime Springs
The history of Lime Springs is marked by a confusing succession of titles for the town. The "Old Town" of Lime Springs was settled in 1854 by Oscar Chesebro and Joseph Knowlton. Lime Spring was named after a spring that produces fresh water today. The spring can be located on the south bank of the Upper Iowa River below the concrete bridge. The old town of Lime Springs was platted in 1857 by O. and W.O. Wood.
The railroad location was implemented a mile away from the "Old Town" of Lime Spring at the Lime Spring Station. Glen Roy was the official name of the U.S. post office at Lime Spring Station and the "Old Town" post office closed in 1868. This area, the Lime Spring Station came to be known as Lime Spring and was platted in 1867. It was not until 1949 that the "s" in Lime Spring(s)was officially added by the post office.
The uniqueness of Lime Springs is marked by the milling industry and the historical site of Lidtke Mill. This mill was famous for its buckwheat flour and in the 1870s the mill was able to put out 100 barrels of flour a day. Today Lidtke Mill is on the National Register of Historical Sites and is still a dominate presence in "Old Town"
Lime Springs also recalls two devastating fires in its history. The "Big Fire" of 1901 wiped out both sides of main street. Although tragic, this fire resulted in rebuilding main street with the beautiful brick buildings you see downtown Lime Springs today. The second big fire was on Easter Sunday, April 21, 1927. Eight buildings burned including the lumber yard and the opera house on Center Street.